1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male or female? (Chinese goose)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bock, Feb 21, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have 2 approximately 9 1/2 month old geese I got straight run from Metzer Farms. I am pretty sure the Brown Chinese goose is a gander, but I am still not sure about the White Chinese. I don't think they have laid any eggs yet, but they very well could have laid them at the pond while they were free ranging. [​IMG] Here are a few pics of them in their night time pen, what do you think?

My Brown Chinese (I am pretty sure is a gander):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My White Chinese goose (really not sure about gender):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the quality of the pics, they wouldn't stay still! Thanks for the help, I am really hoping for one female. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Anybody? I was really hoping someone would know.[​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think the white one might be a girl because her knob isn't so pronounced, but it still could be early and he might be a late bloomer. But, the brown one definitely is a gander.

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thank you! If they are both ganders, how many females would I need to get for a correct mating ratio? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Your brown Chinese gander is beautiful! I have a brown Chinese goose, and would love to find a gander for her-------she's about 1 1/2 years old.

6. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thank you! He is very handsome! [​IMG] I wish he was friendlier though, my White Chinese goose loves being held, but he likes to keep his distance. I am thinking about ordering 4 straight run goslings from Holderread Waterfowl Preservation Center next spring. Then, hopefully I could get some babies out of them! [​IMG]

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    My male is a lot taller than the girls. Once they start laying eggs they get an egg channel of loose pocket that hangs between their legs. That and the disposition, females aren't as possessive and he should be mounting her by now if you have a girl.

Good luck - hope she's a girl.

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
  9. TracyLovesDucks

TracyLovesDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Hi Bock, it's been a while... did you ever figure out what your white goose is/was?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by