1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Male or Female Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Runner duck mom, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Chirping

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    Hello all! I have 2 Indian runner ducks that are 5 1/2 months old. I had ordered 2 males from Metzer Farms. They have recently started mating in their pool which I understand is common with ducks. They will alternate and both mate with the other. They are also a lot louder than I expected male ducks to be, one of the ducks has a very definate loud quack much louder than the other but they can both be quite loud. I must confess they are quite attached to me as I have spoiled them since they were babies so they like to be as loud as they can whenever they see me.
    Neither has gotten their curly male tail feathers yet and also no eggs. I'm terribly confused as to whether they are actually both males, male and female or both female. I have searched posts, videos and anything I can on the internet and can't seem to be sure either way. It's doesn't matter what sex they end up being really (as long as the neighbors don't complain about the noise) but curious if we should expect eggs or supply calcium if we do have a female.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Crossing the Road

Oct 26, 2015
    Flufflesville
    My Coop
    female

Runner duck mom likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

If one QUACKS and the other raspy? You have a Pair..

4. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Yep. . sounds like maybe she got herself a pair

chickens really likes this.
  5. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    CayugaJana and chickens really like this.
  6. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Chirping

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    Thank you for the link. I'm pretty confident that at least one is a female. No changing their names at this point so my female will be stuck being called Leonard, lol :) I think it would be great if I ended up with a pair and I would imagine they would be happier than two males living together :) Not sure if I'll have to wait until spring but I will check back in if we are surprised with eggs.

7. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Chirping

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    I guess I didn't have long to wait for an answer! Found my first egg while cleaning out the coop this morning so one lady duck for sure. Seems it's true what they say that runner ducks will lay their eggs anywhere, found this one on the step that leads to their pool...they have a cozy nesting box but they usually always hang out around the pool even at night. So neat! 1119171423.jpg

8. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    Do your ducks have access out of their coop at all time? To try and keep the eggs in an accessible and appropriate place you could keep them in the coop (just the duck house- no run) until about 8am (may be later because of the winter days).

Congrats!:celebrate

ViolinPlayer123 likes this.
  9. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Crossing the Road

Oct 26, 2015
    Flufflesville
    My Coop
    :clap!

10. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Chirping

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    They do have access to their coop all the time. I still keep it set up as it was when they were little...they have their nesting box as well as a little enclosed area with a tub to swim in when they can't get out in the bigger pool overnight. Will need some adjustments as I never made a door on the back to collect eggs as I expected boys :) Cleaned out their nesting box yesterday and found an egg all nestled in the straw this morning. I appreciate the advice as its my 1st adventure with ducks. They are so messy but they make me laugh every day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: