1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male or Female? Frizzle or Standard?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wood's Farm, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Wood's Farm

Wood's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Running Springs, CA
    I have two chicks, one is roughly 4 weeks old and the other is roughly 5 weeks old. They are bantam barred cochins and are possibly frizzles. To me they look standard, not frizzled. It also looks like I have a male and female. What do you guys think? Also, if it turns out to be a roo, are they just as loud as standard sizes roos. My city does not allow roos, so I may be in trouble if he is too loud. Thanks for any help!
    [​IMG]
    This is the older one that is possiblly a roo.
    [​IMG]
    This is the younger one that I think is a hen.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They are a little fluffy, but I think they are straight feathered. Some of my cochin bantams are loud, some are not. A well insulated house(coop) for them helps, and if you get a good one, it will crow once or twice when it is outside and thats it. Freddy does that, and nobody would really know anyway because he sounds like a high pitched yodeler. [​IMG]

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I would say at this point they are possibly both pullets and are definately smooth feathered.

Here is one of my frizzled cochins at only 2 1/2 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Comb is already turning red as it is on all my cochin roo's

Here is one I think is a pullet:

[​IMG]

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are smooth feathered. Looks like you have a cockerel in that first pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by