1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Male or Female Golden Laced Wyandotte??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Adventurefamily5, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Adventurefamily5

Adventurefamily5 In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    We got in 4 beautiful chicks 5 1/2 weeks ago from mypetchicken.com. A Buff Orpington, White Leghorn, Dominique and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. We are pretty sure that all are females except the Wyandotte. Pat, as we'll call her/him, acts more aggressive than the others and has wattles already. Can anyone tell me if this is a boy or girl? Thanks so much! This is my first post, so I hope I did the picture right.

[​IMG]

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    the pic's alittle blurred, hard to see feathers. looks like it might be a roo. a picture of its back would help

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If that comb is really as red as it appears in the picture, you have a male. Males also feather out a bit differently than females, but can't see enough of the bird in the picture to judge by that, though to me, it looks like a cockerel.

4. Adventurefamily5

Sep 19, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    The comb is definitely red, and so is the head. We suspected because of how red he got before the other 3, and also because he is more aggressive, bumping his chest against the other chicks when we let them out of the cage. Thanks! Another question... should I post him on the meetup so he can find a good pot... I mean home, or should I wait another week or 2?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definite cockerel.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Definitely a roo.

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Songster

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    What's the Meetup?[​IMG]

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Its a roo for sure, But just cause he acts like that now, that doesn't mean its a male. Our dominate female was very aggresive at the others. You wont be able to tell by there attitude but only by there features. Even now our roo runs from the dogs yet the dom hen stands up to them and will go after them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    "Pat". I love it!

10. Adventurefamily5

Sep 19, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Meetup.com is a new way to connect to people locally. You can search for groups that you like and then meet up with people at meetings or events. I am a member of a political group, an investment group and a chicken meetup. We live in Raleigh, NC, and the group posts about get-togethers and informational meetings, etc. We talk about where to buy feed locally and they even have group harvests for meat. It's neat!

Thanks for everyone's input![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by