1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

male or female guineas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dadsgirl, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i have some small guineas about one month old, does anyone know how i can tell the males from the females they are what you call (pearls)--thanks

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    You can't tell until they start laying. If you can tell you can consider your self a millionaire.

3. Jaybr

Jaybr Songster

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Once they starting making their normal call sounds, you can tell by that. Males have a single sylable call, females two sylable.

Check this sight for sample sounds http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sexing/

I've
    got some that are around 12 weeks and all I can tell is that I have both cocks and hens, their always so close together I haven't pinpointed which are which yet.

I also hatched 8 keets yesterday [​IMG]

4. mylittlehof

mylittlehof In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I found the girls have a "buckwheat" call and the boys a "chi, chi chi" call - beware the girls are LOUD and alarm ALOT for the first year. They settle down after about a year and still alarm, but not so much at daybreak anymore (my neighbors are happier)!

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have my first five Guineas this year. They are now just over 2 months old and I know I have three girls and think the other two are boys as I haven't heard them sound off yet. The girls are very obvious with their 'buck-wheat' type call.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

One clue, if you can get what I'm saying, is that the females tend to cruise around in a horizontal stance whereas the males usually are more upright. You may have to wait awhile till they aren't exactly babies. Males sometimes have much longer wattles and a taller helmet, but not always.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hey thanks Speckledhen - now I have to run outside and watch to see who's horizontal and who's upright.

By the way - did you realize that that is the exact opposite of humans? Men are usually horizontal as they lay on the couch watching TV or taking a nap and we women are upright while we are busy taking care of them! [​IMG]

Edited to add my incredibly brilliant thoughts on the human race. ha, ha,ha!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: