male or female guineas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dadsgirl, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i have some small guineas about one month old, does anyone know how i can tell the males from the females they are what you call (pearls)--thanks

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    You can't tell until they start laying. If you can tell you can consider your self a millionaire.

3. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Once they starting making their normal call sounds, you can tell by that. Males have a single sylable call, females two sylable.

Check this sight for sample sounds http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sexing/

I've
    got some that are around 12 weeks and all I can tell is that I have both cocks and hens, their always so close together I haven't pinpointed which are which yet.

I also hatched 8 keets yesterday [​IMG]

4. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I found the girls have a "buckwheat" call and the boys a "chi, chi chi" call - beware the girls are LOUD and alarm ALOT for the first year. They settle down after about a year and still alarm, but not so much at daybreak anymore (my neighbors are happier)!

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have my first five Guineas this year. They are now just over 2 months old and I know I have three girls and think the other two are boys as I haven't heard them sound off yet. The girls are very obvious with their 'buck-wheat' type call.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One clue, if you can get what I'm saying, is that the females tend to cruise around in a horizontal stance whereas the males usually are more upright. You may have to wait awhile till they aren't exactly babies. Males sometimes have much longer wattles and a taller helmet, but not always.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hey thanks Speckledhen - now I have to run outside and watch to see who's horizontal and who's upright.

By the way - did you realize that that is the exact opposite of humans? Men are usually horizontal as they lay on the couch watching TV or taking a nap and we women are upright while we are busy taking care of them! [​IMG]

Edited to add my incredibly brilliant thoughts on the human race. ha, ha,ha!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by