Male or Female? Here's a few of my chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickeneer45, Aug 1, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    I took pictures of four of my six chicks just to see how this works. Here is the first one... I think that he is barred rock mixed with a little silkie, mainly I just want to know their genders; and they are all just a little over two weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next one, I think is a leghorn mixed with a barred rock. He already has a comb started, but I don't know if that means anything:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next one, I am pretty sure is a purebred leghorn, but not 100 percent positive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last is my runt, who is much smaller than the others and two weeks old as of today, I also think that he is a purebred leghorn, but am not sure either:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now; let me know what you think genderwise. Thanks!

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

It's way too early to be certain--especially with mixes.

I'd keep an eye on the second one, the larger comb and heavier legs can be signs of cockerel--though they aren't surefire and lack of these features doesn't mean the others are all pullets.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    I agree with popsicle .In a couple weeks we can be able to tell you more! The second does look suspicous but I´m not completely sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by