Male or female? I'm really confused! :/

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TimBaumann, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    The person that I bought the (hopefully)females from only had white ones so I took 2 instead of 4 but I'm planning on getting two more with normal coloration! [​IMG]
    Here are all my quail.
    [​IMG]
    The two which I'm hoping to be female!

They are more than 13 weeks old and what confuses me is that they haven't crowed yet or laid any eggs. So do you think these are females? any info will be appreciated! thanks

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Its very hard to tell with the white ones (which happen to be my favourite colour ones).

I usually can tell by looking at them together. The female ones are usually slightly fatter looking, have bigger heads and are slightly larger than the males. They also seem more rounded in body shape - and the males are a bit longer and slimmer.

If you take some time to sit and watch them for a few minutes you can also see how they behave. The males ones will be mating a lot with the females, and if they are male they may do their display dance - fanning out their wings and running in circles.

The crowing thing is not very reliable. Both males and females will crow, but only the males make the sort of spooky wind noise.

Looking at your photos I think one is a female, and I think the other white one could be male or female.

3. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    thanks.. the wind noise is what I meant. none of the white ones have done it and as for the display dance or mating I haven't seen anything like that yet...and I'm out with them most of the afternoon.Oh well I guess I'll just have to wait! thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by