Male or female make a better guard dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martha80

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Randolph Co. Indiana
I have the opportunity to get a pup that I can raise to watch the chickens. On paper, they meet several of my requirements; 1) they should be good sized - to deal with other dogs, coyotes, raccoons and opossums 2) 1/2 coondog, 1/4 black lab, 1/4 chow
3) shorthair
4) good family (human!) well loved
5) barn acclimated

My question is...As a 1st dog on the farm, in the family, and for the chickens,.... male or female?

I'd go grump everytime for a family pet, not sure on the guarding side though as never needed it
hmm.png

it is going to depend more on the individual dog than male or female. BUT! any dog that is going to be good with family and a well-loved pet isn't going to do well left outside alone. Unless you are a farmer who spends 90% of his waking time outside, of course. The dogs who do best outdoors with lots of alone time are those bred to do that - great pryenees, antalotions, ect. I know I spelled those wrong, but it's early. Those breeds have been developed to be more independent and think on their own.

That said, I would look into getting an older dog. One used to living outside and who has proven good with chickens and to be protective against predators. Puppies are a crap shoot - will he grow up to be protective? Will he be good with animals? Get an established dog who already displays the traits you are looking for

We have a Great Pyr who we got as a pup as a pet. Since then we have added chickens, sheep, goats etc. She will lay out near the animals as if to say "thanks for getting me something to watch over.'
She goes in and out of the house, and has a very specific guard schedule. The animals all know her barks and know which ones to pay attention to. I watched all the chickens freeze one day when she barked. There was a hawk. She also seems to work well with the guardian llama we have for the sheep.

But she is an unusual Pyr. She is friendly but cautious and we have introduced her to the animals and taken a lot of time to make sure they get along. I also have to say that we lost 5 chickens to her when she was young. She was trying to herd them and that did not go well. Her intentions were good and she was obviously upset by what she did.

I am not sure how you came up with the mix you want, or how you'd even find a dog with that mix. Two of those dogs are hunting dogs and the 3rd is a dog with a fairly high prey drive. If you want a dog to guard chickens, get a dog who's genetics tell it to be a livestock guardian (low prey drive) and NOT a dog who has hunting genetics. A hunting breed MIGHT make a decent LGD, but a known LGD breed has a much better chance at success.

I personally believe female dogs are more protective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom