Male or female Miniature Appleyard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by houndbird, Aug 18, 2013.

1. houndbird

houndbird New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    These are some of my Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, I have four altogether, they are now about six weeks old. I got three girls and then an unrelated boy from a different lady. (Humphrey is front right with the green bracelet) I am not convinced that they are not all girls! Although the (supposed) boy is a darker colour, the markings look very similar... "He" is much more vocal than the other three but I am quite inexperienced with ducks and the others are quite quiet so I can't really tell by their voices :-(
    What does anyone else think?! I don't know what age the head feathers would turn green if they were going to?
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Humphrey does appear to be a drake. While he hasn't yet developed the greenish head, female Silver Appleyards never have that reddish chest coloring. It is odd, though, that he is the noisiest, as drakes are generally way more silent than duck hens. I'd just watch your duck flock and see if he ever mates the other ducks. Eventually, he'll (if its a he) will grow in the curled tail feathers of a male duck, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by