Male or Female Muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Sep 11, 2011.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    I have 2 Muscovies that are 4 months old. Are they male or female? White head is Donald and Black head is Daisy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just for kicks baby pics [​IMG]
    4 wks old when we brought em home
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love that baby picture!! [​IMG] looking at the legs of them both I'd say boys. If you could get a pic of their faces headon it might help.

3. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you
    These might help hopefully [​IMG] I can go out and get more if needed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'm going to agree with Miss Lydia. I think you were lucky like me and got 2 drakes. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:now not sure here is my drake at 3 months looks like his carnicles are more than yours at 4 months, what do you think?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42327_img_2494.jpg

i have no idea. But i know both their parent had very limited carnicles

Okay then we're back to legs. they look like they have stumpy legs in the pic. do they both have legs about the same thickness? boys have stumpy legs. big feet and hiss instead of trill.

8. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:i have no idea. But i know both their parent had very limited carnicles

Okay then we're back to legs. they look like they have stumpy legs in the pic. do they both have legs about the same thickness? boys have stumpy legs. big feet and hiss instead of trill.

I think they're about the same. and I dont know the difference between a hiss and trill XD sorry these are my first ducks.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Okay then we're back to legs. they look like they have stumpy legs in the pic. do they both have legs about the same thickness? boys have stumpy legs. big feet and hiss instead of trill.

I think they're about the same. and I dont know the difference between a hiss and trill XD sorry these are my first ducks.

trilling is little noises the females make and you'd no a hiss if you heard one. but I am not sure at what age they start hissing, mine still makes baby noises. I am leaning towards drakes for both. but hopefully that doesn't make you too unhappy. Muscovy drakes make awesome pets too, you just can't get any ducklings out of them [​IMG] are you wanting to breed?

10. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I think they're about the same. and I dont know the difference between a hiss and trill XD sorry these are my first ducks.

trilling is little noises the females make and you'd no a hiss if you heard one. but I am not sure at what age they start hissing, mine still makes baby noises. I am leaning towards drakes for both. but hopefully that doesn't make you too unhappy. Muscovy drakes make awesome pets too, you just can't get any ducklings out of them [​IMG] are you wanting to breed?

They stopped making their baby noises like a week or 2 ago. I guess you could call it a hiss its very hoarse. and I was hoping for some eggs. Donald is the SWEETEST duck i'v ever met, he like to just chill on the couch and watch movies with us lol If they are actually both drakes i'll probably trade "Daisy" for a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by