1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male or Female Muscovy Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by telisha247, Oct 21, 2010.

1. telisha247

telisha247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Queensland, Australia
    I got told that she is a female but she is about the size of my drake ,my other female is so much smaller.
    Is there such thing as King Muscovy Ducks?
    [​IMG]

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    My vote is for a boy, because of the feet, but the tail is in a pointed stature..soo, anyone else want to chime in?

3. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i say boy

4. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    She's looking like a he to me..............cute duckie!!!

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I believe you have a drake there...

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Drake. Already starting his caruncling. [​IMG]

7. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Definitely looks like a drake to these eyes. HUM? Never heard of a King Muscovy Duck before. [​IMG] Good looking though.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I say Drake also, The amount of caruncling, body size, size of feet & the thickness and shortness of the legs all say DRAKE. It is strange that his tail looks pointed but it could be the angle of the picture?

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Hmmm, kinda looks like a boy. The only other way to know for sure is wait until it lays and egg.

10. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    One of the best ways to sex young muscovy who are of similar age (& strain) post six or so weeks is to compare feet. The drakelets become increasingly larger along with the birds general size & features. Caruncle development & facial clearing are usually quite advanced in drakelets when compared with the young ducks. Your bird has all of the atributes of a young drake to me. We do have Muscovies here that some call Mammoth & these "show type" birds are often considerably larger than those commonly found on farms & as pets & sometimes refered to as "farm ducks". This is one reason why it can be easier for those not too familar with Muscovy to confuse a larger duck with a "farm yard" type drake. But "drake-ish" traits are generally consistant across the board, give or take some variation between strains eg degree of caruncling, size etc. There is only one breed.

Cheers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by