Male or female Muscovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by salshappyhen, Mar 14, 2017.

1. salshappyhen

salshappyhen Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Hi there.
    My two Scovies are approximately 6 months old and I am not totally sure if they're male or female. New to this. Any ideas? Thank you!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess, based on your photos, is that you have two ducks there...two very pretty girls! [​IMG]

At that age, if one was a drake, you'd see a marked size difference (drakes are usually about 30% larger than ducks). Do either of them hiss, rather than trill? That's another sign of a possible drake.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    both females

4. salshappyhen

salshappyhen Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you! No hissing but they both make adorable humming/trilling sounds especially after seeing the chickens when they haven't seen them for a bit! In your opinion -- since you both probably know more about them than I -- will they be happy not being able to hatch ducklings? I was hoping for a male and female and bought them as such. At what age will they lay? Thank you for your help!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's their main goal in life to hatch ducklings lol but you could always find fertile eggs my Muscovy's hatched Runners and Buffs last spring.

They are gorgeous.

Welcome to BYC @salshappyhen

6. hilltopchicks77

hilltopchicks77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016
    Mine laid at about 4 months. I was 100% convinced it was male since it was huge next to the other one. Well the smaller one was killed by a predator and the larger one laid eggs lol

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    They will set this year. Depending on the weather in your area they could start about anytime. Mine here in NW MO start in late spring/mid summer. They may try to set the eggs even if they aren't fertile, and will likely hide them from you. So you'll have to keep a lookout for them if you want to eat them "the eggs that is".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by