Male or female of a barred rock, light brahma, and buff Orpington

Your BR is definitely a pullet as is the BO. The LB is a cockerel I believe, but give it a few more weeks. Start looking for hackle feathers. Spread the feathers apart and look for thin, pointy feathers starting to form.

Ok thanks! I did look at the LBs feet and they look fatter and the toe nails look longer. Does that mean anything or is it the breed?

Ok thanks! I did look at the LBs feet and they look fatter and the toe nails look longer. Does that mean anything or is it the breed?
Toe nails shouldn't have anything to do with determining gender. Rooster legs are sometimes thicker then a pullets, though I have seen plenty of pullets with thick legs as well.

Last edited:
Ok guys this is the last time I'm gonna ask what ya think about the gender until I either have an egg or a doodle do in the morning. They are now 10 weeks old. So male or female? Please.

Hi Schockm!

I think the LB is a girl. I thought so at the first wee baby picture and again now. In my experience the boys will have a very obvious pea comb--look for tiny rows of bumps along either side of the center main comb. I don't see it in your pictures. Take a good look and see if you can find that as they may be obscured by the photo angles.

Last edited:
You have a barred rock hen and a buff orpington hen. I'm not sure about the cochin though...
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Your barred rock is a girl, no doubt. Since I've never had a light brahma I'll let someone else weigh in.
x3, I'm not that sure of the Light Brahma, the comb redness is making me think of a rooster yet the size tells me it's a pullet.... Another way to sex pea comb chickens is by the comb (this method doesn't work 100% of the time however). The roosters usually have what appears to be 3 rows of bumps on the comb while the pullet will only have one, here's a picture to help you understand:

43310_2009_chicks_at_6_weeks_lb_close_up.jpg

Rooster (left) and pullet (right). You can also use this old thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/287181/sexing-the-brahma-breed-standard-size-light-brahma

Last edited:
I'd say they're all pullets! : )

ETA: In my opinion/ experience, cockerel seem to have bigger, redder combs by that age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom