Male or Female Peafowl :) & some questions..

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MissMorgan7817, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MissMorgan7817

MissMorgan7817 In the Brooder

I have a few questions for you experts..I'm a rookie owner! I have 1 peafowl, 5 chickens (females) and 2 ducks (1 female and 1 male) all in the same enclosure. Overall, they all get along really well. Sadly, one of my peafowl was killed by a dog in a freak situation. I am still heartbroken over it :( Thats why I only have 1 peafowl. So the question is...is my peafowl a male or female? It is about 6 months old. And will it do okay without another peafowl? I know its not easy introducing new birds to the flock and I wasn't really wanting to upset everyone by adding someone new..but I totally will if its best for the peafowl. What do you guys think? It lost it's mate 1 month ago. They were raised together and besties. Now it seems to hang out by itself and I do see it perching with the chickens at times which makes me happy. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Attached Files:

2. AB03Sam

AB03Sam In the Brooder

Dec 30, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    Your bird looks like a male to me. I have no experience keeping single peafowl. All of mine are kept in groups. I’m sure he would enjoy to have a mate, but I’m not sure if it’s necessary.

MissMorgan7817 likes this.
  3. ABS9590

ABS9590 Songster

Feb 18, 2016
    It's a boy and he would probably very much appreciate some company
    When introducing a new bird, I sneak it onto the perch with everyone else at night and usually don't have any problems

4. MissMorgan7817

Thank you so much, should the female I get him be around his age or does it not matter? He is 7 months.

5. MissMorgan7817

Thank you so much. Should the female I get be around the same age as him? He is 7 months. :)

6. AB03Sam

AB03Sam In the Brooder

Dec 30, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    I don’t think age matters too much. I would just see what you can find around his age so that they can be together and breed for years.

MissMorgan7817 likes this.
  7. Dany12

Dany12 Songster

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    AT 2 years old a female of will lay eggs !
    At 2 years old a male will not be fertile !

Buy him a friend ... it's also a solution!

8. I have at least five breeding pens headed by two-year-old cocks. They will breed fine but only a limited number of hens. Greens, on the other hand, might not breed until they are four years of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: