Male or Female Pekin? (Pic included.)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilmama, Jul 8, 2011.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    You can see the middle Pekin duck has the tail feather. The other doesn't. They are both about 4 months old and both have the same exact voice. No actual "Quack" (like my black Cayuga lady)- just that sore throat sound that goes on and on...
    Confused by the lack of feather on the other Pekin....but it is still male I think because of the voice. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The voice is a much easier way to tell the sex of a duck. Some just take longer than others to get the drake feather, sometimes it gets pulled out by some other duck. I'd say you have a boy there.

3. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Thanks. In that case, if there is anyone in Ventura County, CA interested in one or two male Pekins, let me know.
    I love them but we want duck eggs and one male is already being a bit too rough with my one female and I am worried for her life. He submerges her in the pool to mate and my neighbor has lost females this way. I don't want yet another male doing this to her as well. I will get more females for her to be with.

4. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    Top drake, bottom hen.

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yep looks like the top is the Drake bottom hen.. you can tell really well speacially the older they get by the curled one feather that is the male. I haven't found in easy way to tell by there voice yet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by