Male or Female Pekins

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Norman89, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Norman89

Norman89 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]Hi, I'm from the UK and wondered if I could have some advice. I have 2 5 week old ducklings (pekin x aylesbury) known as Cherry Valley in the UK. Neither ducks have their quacks yet. One made a sort of quack around 3 weeks but they have both gone quiet of late and seem to chat to each other. They now have their tail feathers but wondered if any experienced owners could help. Do I have males or females. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Drake feathers don't come in until they're at least 10 weeks old I think. At 8 weeks you can generally start to accurately voice sex them

3. Norman89

Norman89 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's more pics!

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Im usually able to tell by about 3 1/2 months.They begin curling and voices really begin to shine.At this age you wont know unless you can find someone to vent sex them.Males making a scrappy,hissing sound which usually isnt very loud unless they are warning.Hens quack and are loud.

5. Norman89

Norman89 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    I'm desperate to figure out if I have boys or girls I was hoping for a girl for eggs, and I've hatched these from an egg so haven't identified sex ect! I love them though! They are great fun!

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    One thing i notice is the males will follow you around if you have tooken the hen away,but you generlly dont start to see that behaviour till around 7 or 9 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  7. Norman89

Norman89 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Yes it was around 3 1/2 months when I heard first quack from one but now I feel that ones voice is starting to go raspy :(
    The other one I feel is definitely a boy but at times has outbursts of loudness. It's so hard to tell. Maybe I'll just have to wait!

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also post on the "Duck thread," put that in the search box above, and it will come up for you. They might have more "tells," to share with you about the breed.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Norman89 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I know nothing about ducks except that those two and just way too cute!

This is a link to the Duck Forum Diva mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

This is a link to what I believe is the most active UK Thread if you are interested in saying Hello on there also: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/2870

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your ducks, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by