male or female pet piggies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by key west chick, Jan 26, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I was researching pet piggies and was wondering if a spayed female or a neutered male makes a better pet. I prefer neutered dogs over spayed females and wondered if I would like a neutered male piggie as well.
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Either... but never, ever keep an intact male! Seriously, leave those to breeders because it would just be a matter if time....
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:And they STINK to high hell!

I don think it really matters either.... the only difference, i think, is the males can still get tusks after they are fixed. Mine do... Not HUGE tusks..but still..
    My female isnt fixed...and she seems to have the same temperment as my 2 fixed males.
    Also.. i think a female is more expensive to get fixed....(kinda like a female dog costs more to be fixed than a male)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Oh trust me, I would NEVER keep an intact male! Ive come across a few and they were nasty, mean and gross!
  5. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    What kind of pigs are you looking at? I have a intact male GOS and I don't have any problems out of him. lol granted him and the hubby sometimes have issues. Hubby is a bit of a softy though and not so good at discipline. A boot in the nose when he tried to charge me is all it took. This breed is also a lot milder mannered than most breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by