male or female pet piggies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by key west chick, Jan 26, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I was researching pet piggies and was wondering if a spayed female or a neutered male makes a better pet. I prefer neutered dogs over spayed females and wondered if I would like a neutered male piggie as well.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Either... but never, ever keep an intact male! Seriously, leave those to breeders because it would just be a matter if time....

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:And they STINK to high hell!

I don think it really matters either.... the only difference, i think, is the males can still get tusks after they are fixed. Mine do... Not HUGE tusks..but still..
    My female isnt fixed...and she seems to have the same temperment as my 2 fixed males.
    Soo...
    Also.. i think a female is more expensive to get fixed....(kinda like a female dog costs more to be fixed than a male)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Oh trust me, I would NEVER keep an intact male! Ive come across a few and they were nasty, mean and gross!

5. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    What kind of pigs are you looking at? I have a intact male GOS and I don't have any problems out of him. lol granted him and the hubby sometimes have issues. Hubby is a bit of a softy though and not so good at discipline. A boot in the nose when he tried to charge me is all it took. This breed is also a lot milder mannered than most breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by