1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male or female polish?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Namble, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    It is 25 weeks old. Hasn't crowed but hasn't layed any eggs. I'm really confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    that's a rooster! sorry! the pointy crest and pointy saddle feathers give it away!

i imagine he'll be crowing shortly..

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    you got a rooster. [​IMG]

4. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    OH DARN! He was my surprise chick from murray mcmurray. I thought he was a she because he would always be scared of everyone. Hes at the bottom of the pecking order.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hehehe thats becouse of his crest. all the others always goes for the ones with the biggest and wildest crest.

6. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    when they have such a big crest, they can't see as well. i had a polish once that was at the bottom because she would run into things. i trimmed her crest back and she moved up a bit in the pecking order.

7. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    [​IMG]
    Here is my free chick from Murray McMurray. He is a silverlaced polish roo. He started crowing at about 12 weeks old. Even though he is a roo he seems to be on the bottom of the pecking order. But he is a gentile young man and we are happy to have him. But like every one else here stated yours is a definite cockerel.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  8. FrizzleDizzle

FrizzleDizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    i thought i finally could tell the difference in polish hens and roos. i knew the first on this thread was a roo but i really thought the second pic was a hen.

9. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:don't worry about it. a pic from just the face can be deceiving. the saddle feathers are what REALLY gives away "hen" or "roo"...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by