Male or Female Question

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by wbruder17, Apr 6, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I got 2 straight run Guinea chicks from Coastal. They are almost fully feathered. One is larger than the other, and the smaller one's wings are growing in differently. It has 2 or 3 longer wing feathers, then it looks like a gap, whereas the larger one has full wings. Could I have 1 male and 1 female? Is there a way to tell this early?

Thanks.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    Sometimes their wing feathers do grow in weird like that, but I have never associated it to male or female (maybe I should start payin' attention to that!) And the size difference... the smaller one could just be a runt or that it's not getting as much feed as the others, so no way to tell there for sure either. Listen for the buck-wheating starting at 5-6 wks old. Only the Hens will make that call.

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks. I will need to look up "buck wheating". I really hope its not a case of the small one not getting enough to eat. I only have 5 chicks together...3 chickens and the 2 guineas, and I fill their food dish once or twice a day now, as they are all getting big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by