Male or Female Question

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by wbruder17, Apr 6, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I got 2 straight run Guinea chicks from Coastal. They are almost fully feathered. One is larger than the other, and the smaller one's wings are growing in differently. It has 2 or 3 longer wing feathers, then it looks like a gap, whereas the larger one has full wings. Could I have 1 male and 1 female? Is there a way to tell this early?

Thanks.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Sometimes their wing feathers do grow in weird like that, but I have never associated it to male or female (maybe I should start payin' attention to that!) And the size difference... the smaller one could just be a runt or that it's not getting as much feed as the others, so no way to tell there for sure either. Listen for the buck-wheating starting at 5-6 wks old. Only the Hens will make that call.

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks. I will need to look up "buck wheating". I really hope its not a case of the small one not getting enough to eat. I only have 5 chicks together...3 chickens and the 2 guineas, and I fill their food dish once or twice a day now, as they are all getting big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by