Male or Female Roasters?

LeghornJosh

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Western Wisconsin
I am getting ready to order up some cornish x chicks for March. I was set on getting all Cockerels. I plan to raise these birds to the 8-10lb dressed weight. Then i was reading in the Welp Hatchery catalog that people order the pullets to raise to 8-10lbs dressed, and will take 12-15 weeks.

Should i order cokerels or pullets? I thought that the males would make it to 8-10lbs dressed faster than the females.

Please let me know what you guys have experienced.

Thanks!

I used the Welp hatchery feed conversion data and compiled a feed conversion/chick cost/feed cost spreadsheet. Using their data, my math showed that raising males to 7 weeks was the most cost effective way to produce chicken by the pound. The performance of the males outweighed (pun) the additional purchase cost over straight-run over the entire growing period (7-12 weeks).

As for me personally, I raised a batch of 100 of Welp's cornish crosses last year. I got straight-run and by the time I processed there was a size difference between male and female. It was not alot, but multiplied over 100 birds it would add up.

I plan to order males for my meaties this year.

Last edited:
I agree the males give a bit better feed conversion. We usually raise straight-run. But only because we sell them as finished chicken and need a mix of finished sizes from Cornish Hen (about 22 oz) to fryers and roasters at 3 1/2 - 5 lb.

Last edited:
I always get the cockerels when I order our birds. To me, they grown larger quicker. You'll be able to pick out the pullets that were mixed in.

This is the conversion chart crperdue was talking about:

rock-growth.jpg

You can see why most people don't keep them past 8 weeks. The feed conversion starts to drop off but the consumption continues to increase.

If given the choice, I'd go with males. They do seem to be on the average always bigger. If you wanted a variety of sizes or were selling them straight run would be fine,but if you wanted the biggest roasting birds you can raise get the males. JMHO Will

Last edited:
I ordered straight run from Welp a couple of times and they were both 95 percent pullets in each batch.
I have since ordered all roosters.
If your goal is 8-10 lb birds I would not bother with the pullets, if you like the different sizes then do straight run.

Last edited:
I get straight run, then butcher them all at the same time. I like a variety in sizes. Also, I wouldn't plan on them getting 8-10 pounds dressed weight, at least until you get the hang of it. In addition to the feed conversion being bad, you're going to feel awful finding 12 pound, fully grown birds dead in the pen. They're like little time bombs after 8 weeks. Plenty of people raise them to that age successfully, but I'd start out butchering earlier if it were me.

Back
Top Bottom