Male or Female Rouen Ducks?

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I can't tell the gender of Rouen duck in middle. I'm pretty sure the one with the orangish beak looking at the camera is female. But the middle one idk. It's quite, but in another picture of female rouens the bill looks like it's beak. But then other websites say its male. Need help. Also the black one is a runner, but looks like a cayuga because of colors when sun hits the feathers. 1 is a most definite female. the middle one is my most concern. If anyone can guess the bred and or gender of black one that would be great too.

Attachments

• 20190910_101829.jpg
    20190910_101829.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 130
I'm defiantly a worry wart about them. I have chickens as well & over the years I have watched my chickens slowly get picked off one by one or all of them at once by critters in the middle of the night. I have since updated their coops for much better security. When I got my ducks I made sure their coop was like Fort Knox but some how something got in & killed my Orpington & her eggs. As my crew grew I made their coop even larger with a much bigger pond for them. I know a lot of people free range but I want my babies safe.

I agree, the one with the orange beak is a female & the one in the middle is a drake. I have Rouen ducks as well. I absolutely love them. I currently have 13. Is the one at the end a Rouen duck as well?

I agree, the one with the orange beak is a female & the one in the middle is a drake. I have Rouen ducks as well. I absolutely love them. I currently have 13. Is the one at the end a Rouen duck as well?
That's amazing! i would love to have that many Rouens! I highly doupt it. i think it's a black runner or a Cayuga because feathers are purplish, green and bluish in the sun. also got them from Rural King. Guy said the black one runs like a runner, but they didn't know the breed.

I started with 4 ducklings last spring that I purchased from Tractor Supply. I got 2 Rouen & 2 Buff Orpington ducks. Ironically once they got older I ended up with a male & female of each breed. My female Rouen had her first hatching in May & hatched 5 ducklings. Out of those ducklings I got 3 females & 2 drakes. Then my Female Orpington was laying on 6 eggs in June but sadly something got to her & killed her & her eggs about a week before they would of hatched. :hitA week after that happened my momma Rouen started laying again & in August she hatched out 5 more ducklings. They are currently about 5 weeks old. She hatched out 4 that look just like her then a solid black one that apparently is a rare Rouen.

Oh, i'm so sorry! That is amazing that you've had so much luck with the Rouens though! That's what i'm hoping to do later in the future. That's another reason i wanted to know if they were male or female. Either way i still love them!!

I'm defiantly a worry wart about them. I have chickens as well & over the years I have watched my chickens slowly get picked off one by one or all of them at once by critters in the middle of the night. I have since updated their coops for much better security. When I got my ducks I made sure their coop was like Fort Knox but some how something got in & killed my Orpington & her eggs. As my crew grew I made their coop even larger with a much bigger pond for them. I know a lot of people free range but I want my babies safe.
I agree. I don't free range my chickens. I do have a dog outside near them to gaurd them and she is doing great. we havent had any foxes or skunks near our chickens since we got a dog.

Back
Top Bottom