1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

male or female silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by candyandcraig, Oct 22, 2013.

1. candyandcraig

candyandcraig In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Hotshot, one of my silkies. S/he's about five months old. I have suspicions that s/he's a male, but would like to hear what some of you more experienced flock-keepers have to say. Any ideas?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me. The crest is rounded and puffy, the comb is small, I don't see any "streamers" in her crest, and she isn't standing too tall.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyandottes7--it looks like you have a pullet. Male Sillkies tend to be taller, have more slicked back crests and a larger comb, and have an overall more rough appearance. If "she" was a rooster, you would probably also see streamers (narrow feathers projecting from the back of the crest); I don't see any on your bird.

4. candyandcraig

candyandcraig In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the help, guys! I was really wondering, since she's been acting protective of the other silkie, and her crest turns up a bit at her comb.
    I'm glad I have two pullets after all. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by