1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male or Female - Someone is Crowing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sacrifice, Jul 28, 2011.

1. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    I have two approximately 2.5 - 3 month old chickens that I got from one of the teachers at school (end of the semester) after being traumatized for two weeks in a kindergarten class. They were supposed to be all female, but I am starting to think at least one of them is male. The light one is picking on my older hen, and someone is crowing.

Oh - what type of chickens are they? Barred Rocks?

Sorry for the blurry pictures, but they are not that friendly and will not hold still for pictures (imagine being held (and dropped) for two weeks by kinderkids [​IMG] ).

Together:

[​IMG]

Darker Chicken - black feathers are very colorful in the sun.

[​IMG]

Lighter Chicken.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    barred rocks yes:)
    Second photo appears to be a roo though--can't be 100% though [​IMG] Last photo hen. usually the darker black are hens--lighter coloration roos

3. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    yes they are barred rocks and the darker one looks to be a male it has a larger comb and wattles and is tail feathers look as if hes a male.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    they look like barred rocks but i have never had barred rocks so i am not sure what one is a roo but the lighter one looks roo

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Those look to be Plymouth Rock - Barred chickens to me, AKA: Barred Rocks. If that's the case, I think the darker one is your boy, even though the "rule" is: Barred Rock males have wider white bars in their barring pattern, which makes them look "lighter" than the females. But in your pictures, the darker chicken has the wider white bars and the beginnings of rooster-like tail feathers.

But I'm no expert.

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think they're both boys. [​IMG]

7. sacrifice

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    Thanks everyone!

Looks like the darker one is going on vacation.....Strange luck this year - out of 10 eggs, 8 were male. Two chicks - one male. [​IMG]

8. sacrifice

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    Quote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I have to agree with mama24... They both are looking boyish. [​IMG] They are the same age and have the same size combs and wattles, and I see saddle feathers on both.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    12 weeks is too early for that much comb development on the combs. I think they're both boys, though traditionally girls are supposed to be dark and boys are supposed to be light. Hatchery birds sometimes throw those rules to the winds by mixing their stock a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by