Male or female waterfowl retriever?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Hubby and I are going back and forth over the gender of "his" dog. He wants a dog to go hunting with him and retrieve waterfowl and whatnot.

Pros and cons of females vs. males.

I know that every dog is different, but sex does tend to have a trend when it comes to training certain breeds.

2. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I've heard people swear that females are smarter.

3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I've also read somewhere that some people think that the females are a little more independant, so when they decide they are going to stop working, they're done. [​IMG]

Just wanted someone with experience in this area and here a first hand account. Because everyone will have their own opinions.

4. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I like male dogs for anything I do. All my retrievers are always males. But I have seen that it tends to be males are better for female owners and females for male owners. You need to go look at the pups and see who likes who type of deal. Then start training from day one. Just my two pennies [​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have had 2 males, 2 females (labs).

First male, Thunder black lab, 13 years old:
    Smartest dog I have ever seen. Will go ALL day for retrieving. Will bring back a live bird in his mouth for you to finish...will kill chickens if they are out of the pen. I would probably die for this dog.

Second male, Marley chocolate lab, 4 years old:
    Mid-level on the smart scale. Not because he's stubborn, but because he's too smart! He uses those brains for evil....think sandwich-napper. Will retrieve ALL day but likes to play keep-away. His previous owners ruined his soft mouth but we're working on the retrieval. He's scared of guns....

First female, Cocoa chocolate lab, 2 years old:
    BONKERS. Absolutely insanely bonkers. This dog climbed a 7 foot dog kennel fence, got out and ran for 6 freakin' hours before we could get her back. She would not retrieve, would not obey anything, did not like people....she went to doggie-heaven.

Second female, Citra yellow lab, 10 years old (RIP):
    Sweetest female I've ever seen. She was about as bright as a burnt-out light bulb. Would not retrieve, would not sit still, after 6 years of training she STILL would not stay or stop that incessant nipping on your hand...scared to death of guns. Wouldn't harm a chicken if her life depended on it. The trainer actually gave us our money back because he couldn't train her...LOL.

All other dogs have been trained explicitly by me.

And just for fun:
    Third female, Vida, Shih Tzu, 2 years old:
    Absolutely awesome. 100% will get another one. Fetches ALL day long, loves the sound of a gun. Will murder you in order to retrieve. Has a soft-mouth to rival Thunder!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    From our experience, the females are more temperamental [​IMG] The males have been more aggressive hunters, willing to go through anything, as opposed to around a thicket. They are quicker (in many cases, not all) to jump into the cold water without hesitation. The males do tend to follow their nose and ignore a command. With good/proper training, it should not matter. In our house, my husband said no more female dog, EVER...........which is completely related to the first sentence [​IMG]
    I find female dogs easier to train, but that too might just be the dogs i have worked with [​IMG]
    Again......this has been OUR experience, and i am not saying this for EVERYBODY else's.

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Female every time. They don't seem nearly as prone to selective deafness and are easier to train.

8. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    "Selective deafness" I like that.

We'll just have to keep researching the subject, maybe get to know some of the breeders and maybe some of the local bird dog enthusiast.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    We had labs and lab crosses when I was growing up. Two females and two males. In my experience, tainted by childhood, they boys took far longer to grow up, and were much less of family dogs than my dad's dog. Two of them were exceptional at retrieving and hunting, one male, one female. The others were not so good. One of the boys was much dumber than the other three dogs. I think the best all around dog we had was a female, full lab, with a more show/English style. She was much smaller than most labs I see now, and was calm, and kind. Even after she was blind she would go to school with us, and then walk home. Her mouth was good enough that if you gave her unshelled peanuts, she would spit out the shell. She was a great retriever, but not psycho about having stuff in her mouth. Her son, a chessie cross, loved having stuff in his mouth so much he would carry rocks, large ones, all day long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by