Male or female white leghorn??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brett1984, Mar 24, 2017.

1. brett1984

brett1984 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Alabama
    I bought these white leghorns at the same time. And they're the same age. Why is this one almost twice the size of the others? Is it a rooster? Or is something wrong with it causing it so be so big??[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are they? I'm thinking the big one is actually a Cornish cross meat bird, not a White Leghorn. That would explain the size difference.

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I agree with the above. :/

4. brett1984

brett1984 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Alabama
    They are only two weeks old. I bought them at tractor supply and they had some Cornish cross chicks there. I guess it's possible one slipped in. This bird has so much meat on it I can see that. Just have never had one.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    And the bottom one doesn't really look like a Leghorn, either.

6. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    I agree. Cornish crosses are reputed as one of the fastest growing types of chickens and are widely available from hatcheries, which of course is where Tractor Supply gets there chicks. Whether that chick was boxed wrong from the hatchery, put in the wrong box at Tractor Supply or moved itself, is irrevelant at this point to you I'm sure. I would put money on the larger chick being a Cornish cross. My local Tractor Supply always has them when they have chicks, and although I have never bought chicks from them, I have seen several mismatched chicks in the bins that belonged in other bins for whatever reason. I had a Salmon Faverolles chick jump on top of its food or water and then jump out of its brooder the other day, which is basically the same size as those bins at my local Tractor Supply.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cornish cross meat bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by