Male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newchikngal, Feb 2, 2016.

1. newchikngal

newchikngal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    California
    I bought these almost a week and a half ago and the breeder said they were between 6-10 weeks old. I believe they are on the younger side because they were smaller. I'm noticing some red on the barred rock.. Here's a photo from today....[​IMG]

2. newchikngal

Jan 24, 2016
    California
    This is from a week and a half ago...[​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't see anything screaming cockerel on any of them so I'm thinking they are all pullets. :eek:)

4. newchikngal

Jan 24, 2016
    California
    Thanks, I wasn't sure about the barred rock because the redness on her face is much more pronounced then the other two.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. The barring looks to be the darker barring of a female rather than the lighter barring of a male. Also, I'm thinking it's not pure Barred Rock either as the legs do not look yellow to me but closer to the whitish/pinkish legs of a Cuckoo Marans (another barred breed). Of course it could just be a trick of the lighting making the legs not look yellow.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They all look female. I also would not be surprised if the barred bird is a Marans, that looks like very pink/white skin on those legs.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    look like pullets to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by