Male or Female ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lydiagirl99, Aug 2, 2016.

1. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    So, I myself hatched some babies 2 months ago and kept the one with the prettiest coloring.. well, of course he turned out to be a little cockerel. Now, I have Momma hen hatch some babies and I kept the one with the prettiest colors again.. Thinking its a cockerel. So maybe I need to pick the bland yellow colors from now on [​IMG] Well, here is little Penguin. A 6 week old Production Faverolle and Red sex link mix. Any ideas on Pullet or Cockerel?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    At 6 weeks I'm leaning towards cockerel, but I'm not the most experienced. Just know that none of my pullets had that large and red of wattles at that age.

3. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    Cockerel.

4. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Cockerel. At 6 weeks with that comb and waddle formation? Definitely a male.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    cockerel.

You're correct on your thinking to pick the blander colored birds. In chickens, males are bright, flashy, colorful, etc. Their color is designed to draw attention, to say "Loot at me! Here I am!!".
    Females, on the other hand, are drab, blander colored, the colors are more even and smooth. They're designed to blend in and let the eye pass over them when they're setting on a nest..."You don't see anything here worth eating".

this is an easy way to sex mixed breed birds by color.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

7. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    X2

8. bek007

bek007 Just Hatched

Aug 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Can someone please tell me what sex these are [​IMG]

9. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Gonna take a guess and say they're hens based on the the fact that their combs aren't that big + red and have no waddles as I can see. The one in the midde is questionable. How old are they?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  10. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I agree that the second one is questionable, the one on the far left seems to be quite certainly a hen, and the far right-the tail seems a little curved up, so maybe a cockerel, but hard to tell when they're crouching, but other than that one point it looks indeed more like a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by