Male or Female ??

lydiagirl99

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Michigan (By The Thumb)
So, I myself hatched some babies 2 months ago and kept the one with the prettiest coloring.. well, of course he turned out to be a little cockerel. Now, I have Momma hen hatch some babies and I kept the one with the prettiest colors again.. Thinking its a cockerel. So maybe I need to pick the bland yellow colors from now on
barnie.gif
Well, here is little Penguin. A 6 week old Production Faverolle and Red sex link mix. Any ideas on Pullet or Cockerel?

At 6 weeks I'm leaning towards cockerel, but I'm not the most experienced. Just know that none of my pullets had that large and red of wattles at that age.

cockerel.

You're correct on your thinking to pick the blander colored birds. In chickens, males are bright, flashy, colorful, etc. Their color is designed to draw attention, to say "Loot at me! Here I am!!".
Females, on the other hand, are drab, blander colored, the colors are more even and smooth. They're designed to blend in and let the eye pass over them when they're setting on a nest..."You don't see anything here worth eating".

this is an easy way to sex mixed breed birds by color.

Can someone please tell me what sex these are
263a.png
Gonna take a guess and say they're hens based on the the fact that their combs aren't that big + red and have no waddles as I can see. The one in the midde is questionable. How old are they?

Last edited:
Gonna take a guess and say they're hens based on the the fact that their combs aren't that big + red and have no waddles as I can see. The one in the midde is questionable. How old are they?
I agree that the second one is questionable, the one on the far left seems to be quite certainly a hen, and the far right-the tail seems a little curved up, so maybe a cockerel, but hard to tell when they're crouching, but other than that one point it looks indeed more like a hen.

Back
Top Bottom