Male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cchicks4, Jun 18, 2018.

1. cchicks4

cchicks4 Chirping

Feb 27, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Male or female?
    This poor chicken is really sick. It won’t move. Not eating much or drinking it’s neck is collapsed into its body and it just has no energy. It sits in one spot all day. It doesn’t seem in pain when I pick him up but it never used to let me touch it. Any advice would help. I’d love to help it but I have no idea

Attached Files:

2. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Crowing 5 Years

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    If it is sick, you should probably post in the Emergencies forum. However, if you want us to sex him/her, we will need age, breed if possible and a picture from the side would be really helpful

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Is a vet an option?
    What does his(?) poop look like? How does his crop feel when you put your hand on it? Body condition? (can you feel a lot of keel-bone/how much weight has he lost) Do you know how long this has been going on?

If there are no crop issues, I'd begin supportive care with some electrolytes (1 tsp baking soda, 1tbsp corn syrup/honey/sugar, 1 pinch salt, 2 qt water) and some poultry vitamins.

Consider some aspirin. 1/4 of a 325 mg tablet in his drinking water/in the electrolytes. He's probably in a bit of pain. When you're in serious pain, (think migraines. Or, if you're female, bad menstrual pain) you don't want to fight. Neither do chickens. Don't expect them to yell and whimper; chickens don't react to pain like humans do, and I'm pretty sure that it's because a human that yells for help might get it. A chicken, not so much.

@casportpony?
    @azygous? will probably be able to help better than I can.

4. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    male leghorn? breed?
    x2

5. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Solving any mystery requires clues. You need to give us some.

How old is this chicken? Does it mainly free range? Do the chickens scratch around in decaying vegetation? Have access to stagnant puddles? Do you have a lot of mosquitoes? Are any other chickens acting any less active than usual? How about poop? Have you seen any blood or worms in the poop? Could their feed have gotten moldy? Have you checked these chickens for mites and lice? How about their coop? Is it possible there are mites in the coop?

6. cchicks4

cchicks4 Chirping

Feb 27, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    He is around 4 months old. They free range in a forested area. No other birds seem bothered. It’s been over a week now and he has been getting worse. I was away on vacation and just got back. His comb is flopped over. He isn’t really drinking but he won’t bend over to eat I have to hand feed him. I can’t tell if it’s his crop or his chest but it’s hard on his neck. He keeps his neck into his body. I haven’t seen his poop. I checked his body for mites. On his feathers there are some black spots that I think could be mites. I rubbed him down in DE a couple times. His body almost seems bloated.

drumstick diva likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    DE won't do anything for mites or anything else. You really need to post in full detail at "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," a photo or two would help also. Really you are wasting your time here - he needs medical attention now unless you are expecting to cull him.

8. cchicks4

cchicks4 Chirping

Feb 27, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I posted
    I posted there the other day and got no reply. I’ll try again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: