Male or Female?

ChooksNZ

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2020
New Zealand
Hi all, I've been keeping a few chickens here in New Zealand for about a year now, but still have a lot to learn!

Would anyone be able to tell me if this pair are male or female please?

I’m told they’re Wyandottes (although possibly a cross between 2 varieties), and about 6 months old. However, the previous owner had a fairly large and gloriously chaotic collection of free ranging chickens, and I’m not convinced he could keep track of what he had, so this may not be 100% accurate.

They’re both still quite nervous and not used to people, so photos are a bit difficult to get.

Any information would be appreciated!

IMG_9786.jpeg
IMG_9799.jpeg
IMG_9776.jpeg

I see pullets.
But I think they are younger than 6 months.
6 months would mean they were close to laying. And I don't see bright red combs on them.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm also thinking they're younger than 6 months, although the seller thought they were about that age and should be starting to lay any day now. He says they are silver laced Wyandottes, possibly crossed with some Partridge Wyandotte bantams (although I don't really see any Partridge Wyandotte there).

I'm really hoping they're hens. We're not allowed to keep roosters where I live, so I'd have to take them back if they were.

They're very nervous right now, and a bit restless. I'm giving them a few days to settle in a separate coop and enclosed run, then I'll see if I can gently introduce them to my other two girls who free range all day.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm also thinking they're younger than 6 months, although the seller thought they were about that age and should be starting to lay any day now. He says they are silver laced Wyandottes, possibly crossed with some Partridge Wyandotte bantams (although I don't really see any Partridge Wyandotte there).

I'm really hoping they're hens. We're not allowed to keep roosters where I live, so I'd have to take them back if they were.

They're very nervous right now, and a bit restless. I'm giving them a few days to settle in a separate coop and enclosed run, then I'll see if I can gently introduce them to my other two girls who free range all day.
Good luck!!
Seller was incorrect. They won't be "laying any day now". They don't have the combs for that.
Are they bantam or standard sized?
Also, :welcome

Good luck!!
Seller was incorrect. They won't be "laying any day now". They don't have the combs for that.
Are they bantam or standard sized?
Also, :welcome

Thanks!

I'm not really sure if they're standard or bantams! The seller said they were (probably) crossed with bantams. I'm reasonably new to chickens, but they look fairly big to me, especially if they are a lot younger than he thought.

He had chickens running everywhere around his semi-rural property (and around neighbouring properties!), so I suspect he was simply unable to keep track of them all, and didn't really know which chickens were which. He had multiple families of chickens, and he was getting rid of some simply because he'd ended up with too many.

Well, if they were standard, full grown, I'd guess they'd probably 5 or 6 pounds. Mixed with bantams might be 3 or 4 pounds. Pure bantams might be a pound or a pound and a half.

Are your original chickens bantams or standards? You could use them for comparison.

I'm guessing they are less than 20 weeks old, because of how small those combs are. I think that being a mix is unlikely, unless they were mixed with something laced as well, because I would expect a little more blending of color or leakage in the feathers if a mix. But the lacing is pretty great, so... not sure. It'll be interesting to see how they look as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom