male or female...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shadust1, May 6, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    ok...i had put a thread on here yesterday about my golden comet...i had read that if they turn all white that means they r a rooster....i went home yesterday and was looking to see if there was nething else that i could put on here for someone to tell me yes or no....so here is what i saw....he/she is all white...has a tail that is flat and stands up & down....does that help at all???

i will put a pic later when i get home from work....anyone with any ideas please let me know...thanks!!! the chick is 3 weeks old!!!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If it is all white, except a red patch on the shoulder, then it's a male. Females feather in more red with white accents.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    I have 3 Golden Comets. I know mine are all pullets. The hatchery won't even sell males. When feathers first started coming in they were white, now at 2 weeks old there is a ton of red feathers.

1 week old
    [​IMG]

2.5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

2.5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Since they are a sex-link breed you can tell from birth what you have. Females will be red and white/yellow. Males will be a solid white/yellow color.
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/goldencometpage.html
    The above website has photos of male and female Golden Comet chicks.

Maybe that can help you in figuring out what you have. Welcome!

5. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    ok...now im confused...im getting my babies mixed up..lol...i was confusing my golden comets for another breed...lol...but ill have to check to see if the 2 golden comets i have look anything like the pics...im pretty sure i have one with the yellow on the head area and its ill check the other one when i get home from work..lol...thanks for the reply...

so i got 2 golden comets, 2 bantams(silkies) and 2 ??? lol....i cant remember the breed of the last two...ohhh well

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Upload a picture and we'll have a look-see.

7. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    happy chooks...
    i posted pics in a new topic called "what is this baby??" everyone is saying its a white leghorn....any ideas will help...lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by