Male or Female?

pek

Songster
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Rhode Island
I have a parolett and I don't know if it is a girl or a boy, the breeder told us she was a girl but she also told us that she wouldn't bite, which she does. She is about four. Just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks!!!
45015_s6001537.jpg

45015_s6001539.jpg

Quote:
how do i do that? can the vet tell?

You could ask the vet i never had to personally dna my birds as i can do it by looks.

Your vet may be able to do it, or have it done. There are businesses that will do it for around $20usd. I have seen it go higher as well. You can send them in a freshly plucked feather or some nail shavings.
http://www.avianbiotech.com/
Search 'DNA sexing' and you find more pages like the above and plenty of info as this is a common thing for many breeds of birds.

I had my bird DNA sexed a few years ago! Was worth the $20 I paid (AUD). I recommend it! Just had to pluck a feather out.... (which i got someone else to do!)
big_smile.png

Male parrotlets have some blue on their tails and wings and females do not. Yours looks like a female from those pictures
smile.png

Quote:
thanks so much, everyone! i was hoping she was a girl but i just noticed that she does have a little tiny bit of iridescent blue when the light hits her right but diffenently not as much as in the picture, is she still a girl? (im really annoying, arent i? sorry!!!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom