1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fireman190, Jan 13, 2012.

1. fireman190

fireman190 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    I have two what I think are Ameracaunas. Could someone verify excactly waht they are and if they are males or females.....I think I know but I am new to raising chickens and cant be sure. Also have an austrolorp pictured there as well, I think it is a female. Buff Orpington hiding. Any help would be appreciated.

John [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    John looks like a young hatchery quality silver laced wyandotte roo.

3. fireman190

Dec 3, 2011
    Forgot to add they are 4 months old, I need to know if they are roos, not sure I could keep them if they are, close neighbors and I dont want fertilized eggs.

4. fireman190

Dec 3, 2011
    Wyandottes, really, a friend ordered from a hatchery and he said he asked for Ameracaunas, but I cant find any examples of ameracaunas that look like these. Thanks for the input.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    americunas dont come in that color and if ordered from a hatchery then they would be ee's as hatcheris dont sell pure americauna's. those 2 look like slw. and all of them are cockerels and the black one in the pic looks like a pullet

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they both slw roos the austrolorp looks like a pullet from what I can see

7. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    None of the chickens in this picture are ameraucanas. I know that for a fact. I also am very sure that the black chicken in the back is a pullet and the other two are roosters.

8. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Yep the two black and white are silver laced Wyandotte cockerels and the black one is a pullet! :)

9. fireman190

Dec 3, 2011
    Thank you all for replying.....ummmm anyone in the Pittsburgh area want two roosters?! Please???? Unfortunately can't keep them, not looking to breed chickens. Will look to trade for two hens if I can. Thanks again all.

10. fireman190

Dec 3, 2011
    Well I just should have waited 2 days......this AM I heard what I thought was a person on the side of my house...well it was the rooster crowing away!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by