male or female

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dadsgirl, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    wanting to get a set of ducks, how can you tell the male from female when the are 3-4 days old?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I think there is only one breed that is looking different at birth Some muscovy ducks are sexlinked, i have 11 eggs right now. You can look at the feet , if they are huge its more likely a male.

3. cover357

cover357 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    north- upstate NY
    I don't know if this will work but it is what I went by... we got 4 pekin ducks as babies they were3-4 days old.. As you know they are a yellow color. They were so cute and they looked different. Some had a dark yellow like a spicy brown mustard on the top of their heads and some were just the plain yellow. I picked out 2 of each. Today I have 2 boys and 2 girls. there were from a TS store. The males had the mustard dark head. Females had the brite yellow head. Like I said I don't know if it will work that way but heck it worked for me.. good luck.

4. crys

crys Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    3-4 day olds should still have "belly button" -look for that while holding babe on its back (middle area) - now feel straight down (slowly) from there towards the tail- a drake will have another "belly button" bump a female will not. It might be easier 2 keep a finger (pinky) on the "butt" opening sothat u dont count that area twice!![​IMG] I just sexed our ducklings and goslings that way when I sold them this past week. Sometimes u might get lucky and a drake or gander will have a little "yellow" around that "bump"[​IMG] That makes it a lot easier!! Dont worry, u'll get it with practice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by