Male or Female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SouthofBoston, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SouthofBoston

SouthofBoston New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    My first post!

We received our first batch of barred rock pullets a couple of weeks ago and noticed that two of them are a lighter color than the rest and one of the two has started to develop headgear.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Gary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think you have a couple young gentlemen there.

3. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    [​IMG]
    got these chics yesterday was told straight run can sumone identify this little baby for me and male or female

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wowza! That's some "headgear" on those little barred rocks! LOL!! Barred rock males always feather out significantly lighter than females. And those bright red combs popping up early gives your answer...cockerels!!

JK - your chick is too young for me to guess gender. Not sure what breed either? Red star? New Hampshire? It's cute.

5. SouthofBoston

SouthofBoston New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    Thanks I figured as much. The first two pics are the same chick. The third picture is the back side of the first chick and in the middle is the other that I suspect is a roo.

JKs chick looks like a Rhode Island Red to me.

6. jkhenry

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i wish i knew i bought 6 of them at tractor supply co. all they said was straight run chicks

7. jkhenry

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    [​IMG]
    these are my new 6 babies not sure what breed or sex but like always i will love them and take good care of them like i do with the rest of my chicks have 8 others 9 weeks old they are 4 australorps and 4 white leghorns all females but these babies i will have to see later what i got

8. Tongiechick

Tongiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    oh my gosh those with the white wings are so cute congrats on the ba bies do you have names picked out

9. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable!

10. jkhenry

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i have 8 other chicks and 2 ducks that are all 9 weeks old im not really good on names beings there so many for me so i call them all my babies lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by