Male or female?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jrose, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    I'm not sure where to put this, but I figured this section would be the best.

I just picked up 3 "$3.00" hens last night. Someone was selling off their factory golden sexlinks for winter, and I figured I'd pick up a few just to add to my layers. Well the birds were being kept "as per industry standards" and they're missing 1/3 of their body feathers, all of their tail feathers, and they're very tiny and thin. They got to free-range for the first time today, which I think they enjoyed :)

Anyways, the "girls" were hatched Feb. 2012. They became accustomed to me enough to approach me today and I noticed for the first time that one of them has 1" spurs. Does this guarantee that I have a rooster? "Her" comb and wattles are a little on the tight side. I only got one egg from them, which doesn't surprise me after the move, so I can't judge based on that.

If she's a he, am I going to have to butcher or rehome him? I've already got a 6 month old buff orpington rooster who's at least 3x the size. I don't think 7 girls are enough to keep the 2 males from fighting over them... Although the buff orpington will only breed my equally huge HR Red girls, none of the little girls.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, spurs do not always indicate a male. Many hens, especially older ones or hens of more wild, gamy breeds (like Old English Game) get spurs. If she's the color of a Golden Comet female, she's a female for sure.

3. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is the best photo I've gotten so far. They're still pretty jittery. They all appear to have the same coloration and are the same (small) size. The spurred one is definitely the boldest of the three. Unfortunately the moving one is the one with spurs!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are all hens.

5. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by