Male or Female

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by applecheeks, Nov 11, 2013.

1. applecheeks

applecheeks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Alberta
    The injured pigeon I just took in Oct 31/13 is doing well and it's wing seems to be improving. I don't know if it's male or female and would like to know as if he sticks around I'd like to get another one to keep it company. Does it matter if I have 2 males or 2 females? Also, if I end up with a male and female will they be laying eggs for sure? Obviously I'm new to all this. On a side note-When I put my hand in the cage he puffs up and makes a sound like a growl! Didn't know they growled.

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon.
    In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left.

[​IMG]

That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.)

On that note:
    If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender.

(Too many references to gender in tha sentence but I think you can follow).

Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. applecheeks

Nov 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Ok, thanks Hokum Coco! I think mine is male then as he most resembles that one in the video and your picture. He puffs up like that too. Plus the green feathers around his neck are quite bright like the one in the picture.

4. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Sounds like it is a 75% chance of being a male I will only agree to that much. Trust me almost all pigeon fanciers have made a mistake on gender whether they want to admit it or not is another thing. I know I certainly have. Just to give you a heads up sometime (not often) you will get a gay or lesbian pairing.

5. applecheeks

Nov 3, 2013
    Alberta
    ha! Well, he could be gay but not much chance being a practicing gay or straight pigeon while he's alone! I just hope he doesn't becoming attracted to humans. lol Thanks Hokum!

6. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Believe it or not that has been know to happen also and they will not except a mate because of it. It has never happen to me personally. (make sure he wears protection) LOL!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. applecheeks

Nov 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Oops, forgot to ask-So, it doesn't matter if I get another pigeon if it's male or female? I mean if it turned out to be 2 males could they fight (if they're not gay lol )?

8. applecheeks

Nov 3, 2013
    Alberta
    haaa! Yes, protection is a must!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by