male or female

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by austindon, Feb 2, 2014.

1. austindon

austindon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    we hatched our first egg two weeks ago and just got another hatched this morning. we bought a one day old to keep the first new one company and the lady at the feed store said a trick to tell if they are male or female is to hold the chick by the scruff of their neck, hold them, and if the keep their legs tucked up to their chest then they are a boy, if the drop their feet then they are a girl.

has anyone else heard of this method? if not, how can you tell what sex they are and at what age? thanks.

also i hear that there is a high fatality rate with chicks. we got a plastic file box from the office supply story, cut out half of the top, and put chicken wire over it. the lid has a clamp on both sides to secure it.

then we bought a heater, one with just the roof that keeps a steady temperature, then we raise it as the chicks grow (and I can't believe how fast they grow). we have a cheap wall thermometer that looks like a clock that we keep on top of the heater. last, we keep a cloth on top of the heater that we drape over the two sides at night.

the temp stays consistent, even with the open top.

i am guessing that maybe one of the reasons for a high fatality rate is because of temperature and water going foul. we change the water daily since the step and poop in it.

i am not saying we have this figured out, and i am sure we will have ours that die too, but these two things i think are so important.

any thoughts?

2. MoototheCluck88

MoototheCluck88 Chillin' With My Peeps

can we please have pictures?

3. austindon

Sep 21, 2013
    i downloaded photos but don't know how to put them on this thread.

4. austindon

Sep 21, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. austindon

Sep 21, 2013
    we leave the hatched chick in the incubator for 12 hours. turns out we don't need to worry about the turning of eggs or the humidity when it is close to hatching time. and the chick does not peck a hole then peep. it just zippers and bursts out. after 12 hours we put it in the plastic file box with the top cut out with chicken wire over it with the heater in it and thermometer. then when they get their feathers we put them in the larger coop with the brooder lamp, the coop cost like $75 online. when they are ready to start mixing with the adults we will move the pen to the outside coop then do what we are supposed to do, which we have never done yet. we will cross that bridge when it gets here.

we bought a second chick for $4.00 to keep the hatched one company. they love to play together.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I wouldn't advise holding a chick by the scruff of the neck. They are pretty fragile. I believe the method you describe is an old wives tale, similar to holding a key over a pregnant woman's belly. Certain breeds can be feather sexed... Other breeds can be sexed by the color of their down or presence/absence of stripes on the back, or size of or lack of white spot on the head. The hatcheries use these methods, in addition to vent sexing. If it's a mix breed chick, it becomes a guessing game until they start to show their sexual characteristics. If you have a pure breed chick, do a thread search regarding sexing that breed of chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by