Male or female.?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chezzy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Chezzy

Chezzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    I have 2 RIR chickens, one is laying beautifully everyday , the other hasn't laid a single egg,
    Now the one that hasn't laid an egg is about 5 months old, but her comb is getting bigger. And redder everyday, I've tried to put a picture of her on here but I am rely unless at computers, so haven't managed it, She squats when I stroke her back, and hasn't crowed yet, But its just the big red comb and big red wattle and face, looks really cockerel like, but the feathering is identical the one that is laying, I'm confused... If anyone can throw some light on the matter I would appreciate all, advice/ input, I think I might have been able to put a pick of her in my avatar, she,s the one with the big comb. Nearest the camera , thanks for reading

2. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I would give it a few weeks. I would think he would crow if it was a rooster. My rooster (sussex) crowed at 9 weeks I believe.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Most of my birds haven't started laying until they were 6-7 months. I wouldn't worry.:) If you look at the feathers on her neck and saddle, if they are round, she is a hen, and if they are very sharply pointed, she is a roo.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It's even easier in OP's situation - these are Red Sex Links, not RIR - as RSLs they are able to be sexed on sight by color/pattern due to the nature of the cross used to produce them. Sex linked chicks have color/pattern that is "linked" to their sex, making them 100% sexable at hatch and beyond.

5. acro1010

acro1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2014
    Some even crow even younger than that. I wouldn't worry about hen or rooster either.

6. Chezzy

Chezzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    My girl with the big red comb and large wattles has laid her first egg, phewww, Winnie is a girl, xx:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by