Male or female?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Carrosaur, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Serv where are you?! I hear you're amazing at guessing!

[​IMG]

This is my thirteen week old production Toulouse, pear, and for the longest time I thought he was a male, well two of his sisters died and now I'm wondering if he is actually a she... She's a bit smaller than most thirteen-fifteen week old Toulouse geese I see, and he got his feathers much later than everyone else... Female? He still has a peep but occasionally he honks a very raspy honk.

Thanks!

2. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the latest ones I have..

3. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Hey i don't usually scroll. down to look at other trends but i did today and i saw heterosexual Serv. so hah. here i am :)
    That is 100% female!

4. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    That's so depressing because this whole time I thought both my females died... I've been mourning the wrong geese. ):
    Can you tell me why she is a female? Or how you see it so I can know next time?

5. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    The way she looks is female and females grow a lot slower then males especially in the wings and she is small and stands like a female

6. Kobie

Kobie New Egg

Good Day

I am a very confused goose owner.

I have 2 geese, both 11 months old, but I have no idea what specie or gender I have.

I must have at least one female as I had 18 eggs so far, but the first liot the one called Lilly sat on, and now the second lot, both geese take turns to sit on the eggs. The "male" sat on the eggs last night, but the female is sitting on it as I am typing this message. Please help!!!

The goose with the white markings is Milo the assumed male. Lilly is the one with the big hump between the legs.

[​IMG] MILO

[​IMG]Lilly with neck up & Milo with neck down

[​IMG]MILO
    [​IMG]Milo on the left and Lilly right

7. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Kobie. [​IMG] How often did they lay eggs? Every day? Every other day?
    How long have they been sitting? If it´s more than about 5 days, it should be easy to candle the eggs. That means, go into a dark room with the eggs, and shine a bright torch into the fat end of the egg. If they´re fertile and developing, you´ll find there are red veins already in the membrane looking a bit like spiders. If not, then I think there´s a good chance you have two gals. Milo looks a bit like a Milly to me.

8. ludwing

ludwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Hi there geese owners....guess i should try out. Sexing geese when fully grown is a little bit more challenging..for a ( female ) female geese are usually smaller than males, have shorter necks..but the most easy way of identifyng them is by looking at the hump belly between the legs of females ( only females will have this )
    during laying season ganders are very protective....iv seen our gander sitting very close to our nesting goose like he was also broody...he will even turn the eggs for her and cover them while she went for an break...but that he will never turns in incubation although he is the with her mate trying to give her some support.
    Milly is a goose and milo is a gander
    thankx goose lovers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by