Male or female?

kylen2007

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Ohio
I have two 6 week ok pekins. They live with my chickens. I read that you can't keep drakes with chicken hens because they will try to mate with them. Im suspecious I have at least 1 drake. Neither of them are starting to quack yet. But their tail feathers are flipping.

Duck 1 (darkwing)

Duck 2 (donald)

Are both their voices a lower raspy sound? It looks like two drakes to me.

Its not as high as it used to be. The one definately is starting to quiet and go raspy. The other im not sure. Neither are quacking. No honking either. Do you know if they will hurt my chickens during breedong season? We got the ducks as pets and chickens are food/for eggs. Im worried about them injuring the females trying to mate. They didnt brood together. They were introduced 2 weeks ago if that. They seem to keep to themselves and the chickens leave them alone.

Last edited:
Pekin get REALLY loud... i ended up with 5 ducks out of my half dozen, my dining room sounded like the farm yard lol I brooded them in my house in a kiddy pool and each week went by more and more started to quack by 6wks it was real obvious...

As for chicken hens and drakes it's a real concern, definitely NOT beyond the possibility, that said i have Roosters, hens and drakes, ducks run together BUT i have females for both types of birds i would not recommend drakes without ducks in with chicken hens, they are not compatible and death can occur.

Shucks that was my concern :/ My kids are going to be mad at me when i tell them they have to go. We only got them so the kids wouldnt be so upset when we kill the chickens. Is there any way i can order female ducks or are they only sold straight run? The coop isnt close tomthe house so noise isnt an issue.

Last edited:
Shucks that was my concern
hmm.png
My kids are going to be mad at me when i tell them they have to go. We only got them so the kids wouldnt be so upset when we kill the chickens. Is there any way i can order female ducks or are they only sold straight run? The coop isnt close tomthe house so noise isnt an issue.

ah, i see can you not make a duck pen? if the chickens are um *cough* going lol move them back later, a pair of drakes make good pets... after that yes, some do sell sexed BUT i will tell you Pekin drakes need many females they are pretty aggressive... mine has 5 and is wreaking havoc in my mainly scovie flock... drakes need at least 2-3 ducks per generally and with two drakes i just wouldn't feel comfortable suggest adding females unless your willing to take on quite a few.

I will add my Pekin drake is fine with people NOT The problem at all, don't want to give the wrong idea... just he wants to rule the barnyard!

As of now they are cery laid back. Stick to themselves but im sure hormones havent kicked in. Onlyy cornish x's are going as
Food the rest are my layers. I dont want to risk them. We just built our new coop and really dont want to invest into a whole other building and run.

You can buy sexed ducklings, you'll pay a few more dollars for each and you have to get them from a hatchery. Feed store ducks are never sexed.

I ordered my four girls from Metzer Farms hatchery. Expensive to do it that way, but they're great ducks and all girls.

Thank you! I only have room for two ducks since they are messy. What is their minimum order? A few places i looked at i had to order ten.

Back
Top Bottom