male parrot/parakeet owners!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by rosyposyosy, Oct 21, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I have a 2 year old Quaker parrot named Pedro. He mastrubates like CRAZY! Can I get him to stop this disquisting habbit? It is really embarassing when company comes over.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have a quaker, along with several other kinds of birds. The only way to get him to stop is to get him a companion...so he's got the real thing. Birds are flock animals and he is probably lonely and "wanting".

Julie

3. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    I am not getting another parrot. Pedro is going to be by himself. I try to hold him, but now that he mastrubates with my hand - I put him in his cage, where he mastrubates with EVERY toy in his cage.

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    The only way hes going to stop is when you get him some real tacos [​IMG]

5. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    i have a female quaker - who loves to rub her bottom on all her toys - she does not do this often, i have no other birds with her and now that she is 4 years old she will hurt any other bird that goes near her.
    so i know what you are dealing with, with your bird

maybe you can move him to another room so when company comes over - he can have some alone time with his toys LOL

Julie

6. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I don't know much about Quakers, but I have raised many parakeets over the years. My first one was a male, and he got after his toys alot. Right now I have two males, and neither of them try to mate with anything or each other. Maybe I just got lucky with that. I've also heard that getting stuffed animals can help, makes them feel like they have a companion, and do the habit less often. There are little fuzzy houses for birds to sleep in, maybe he would go out of view with one of those.

7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Based on my experience with parrots,...
    Well I never had to deal with your paticular issue, but my guess would be, your stuck with it.

If you get him a mate, he will probably become hostile toward people, at least until he gets that out of his system.

I really thing your options are as follows:
    1) get rid of him
    2) put him out of site when company comes over.
    3)learn to ignore his natural behavior.

Good luck

Added: one more thing I just thought of: maybe if you get yourself a small horney dog that likes to hump peoples legs, they will be too busy trying to shrug your dog off of them to notice what your parrot is doing [​IMG]

just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    Well - I'm not getting rid of my dear Pedro, he still has maybe another 40 years to live, and I want all of them to be with me. I am not getting him a mate either. I have ignored it, but it is pointed out when people who aren't used to it say something. His cage is on wheels, so I can just roll him off to the breakfast nook.

And Barg - That was HILARIOUS! [​IMG]

10. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a male parrotlet (the smallest breed of parrot, they are the size of budgies).
    [​IMG]

I used to have a male cockatiel that would masterbate on my FOOT. He had a foot fetish, I swear. The bigger the feet, the more he loved them. We usually got him out when we were watching a movie at night, and he'd dance and sing to the feet before 'moving in' and trying to do the naughty with them. I'd always kick him off, but he'd always try again night after night. XD He was hilarious and sweet, I miss him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by