Male Pekin Behavior Question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Andora, May 17, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I've noticed lately that my male Pekin starts bobbing his head up and down very fast and quacking whenever he and the other Pekin (a female) are playing in the water. He stretches his neck tall, then dips his head down so that his bill touches his chest over and over. Usually it happens when I fill their dunking litter box with fresh water, or when I'm showering them with the hose. I've never seen him do it away from the water, and I've never seen the female duck do it at all.

What does it mean? I'm so curious, and I can't figure it out! The only guess I have is that he's excited over all the water...? But why doesn't the female do it too?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    He is saying "Hey baby, want a date?"

That is normal mating ritual behavior. [​IMG]

3. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Ok, so he's excited just not in the way that I was thinking. [​IMG]

He's about 11 months old and my female is about 4 months old. When do they start laying eggs?

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I heard ducks start laying around 22 weeks. Give or take. [​IMG]

5. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Similar to chickens, I guess that makes sense. [​IMG] She's still got a little while to go then, before she accepts his courting.

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I should hope so! Lol

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I was just going to ask this question! I thought my pekin was female (only 12 weeks old), but after this ritual I think it might be a HE. Mine does it often, bobbing head and huge quacks and seems to make the other ducks "bow" to it. Sometimes there is head pecking involved. Is that the beginning of mating??

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Females will do the same thing. That is flirting along with the sideways head pecking come on. If you have a flock of all females, one will be dominant.

9. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    My pair are so cute. The female rubs her head underneath of the male's chin all the time, and they cuddle together every time they lay down in the yard. I love watching them!

10. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Quote:That is SO interesting as I have thought she was female this whole time. She quacked first and loudest. I am hoping I have all females and this would make sense! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by