Male Pekin Behavior Question.

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I've noticed lately that my male Pekin starts bobbing his head up and down very fast and quacking whenever he and the other Pekin (a female) are playing in the water. He stretches his neck tall, then dips his head down so that his bill touches his chest over and over. Usually it happens when I fill their dunking litter box with fresh water, or when I'm showering them with the hose. I've never seen him do it away from the water, and I've never seen the female duck do it at all.

What does it mean? I'm so curious, and I can't figure it out! The only guess I have is that he's excited over all the water...? But why doesn't the female do it too?

Last edited:
He is saying "Hey baby, want a date?"

That is normal mating ritual behavior.
smile.png

Ok, so he's excited just not in the way that I was thinking.
lau.gif

He's about 11 months old and my female is about 4 months old. When do they start laying eggs?

I was just going to ask this question! I thought my pekin was female (only 12 weeks old), but after this ritual I think it might be a HE. Mine does it often, bobbing head and huge quacks and seems to make the other ducks "bow" to it. Sometimes there is head pecking involved. Is that the beginning of mating??

Females will do the same thing. That is flirting along with the sideways head pecking come on. If you have a flock of all females, one will be dominant.

My pair are so cute. The female rubs her head underneath of the male's chin all the time, and they cuddle together every time they lay down in the yard. I love watching them!

Quote:
That is SO interesting as I have thought she was female this whole time. She quacked first and loudest. I am hoping I have all females and this would make sense! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom