male pekin behavior

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
I have a breeding pair of Pekin ducks. I have introduced last month 6 female pekins. for a month now the male only goes after ONE duck in the 6 females and mates with her. He doesn't actually get it done. His penis does not come now, as it did before. These females are 14 weeks old. The one he goes after came with a light colored beak and is the smallest of them. They were gotten from a hatchery. I won't know for a few weeks to make sure they are all female. Any ideas why he only goes after one, while he sticks close to his partner most of the time.

It's pretty simple to tell males from females,females quack,drakes don't.They make a raspy type sound.14 weeks is a little young for them to be mated with,seperate your drake.

Yes I know how to tell the sounds of a drake and hen. That wasn't my question on this thread. In the wild they are all together anyway. They are free range and have access to acreage..they aren't cooped up. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
ok I need him out there breeding with his mate...they are two peas in a pod. The new hens are his size, they aren't small. I though 3-1/2 months was okay as I had 8 males and females together last year and didn't have any problems. I just wanted to know why he only goes after 1 out of 6 hens always.. he leaves the others alone.

He cannot kill her,but he can defiantly send her into distress,and cause her to run off...Put him and his mate together in one alone pen.

Back
Top Bottom