Male Pekin duck charging?

Donnigan

Chirping
Apr 30, 2016
I have been putting my male Pekin duck in a dog pen/kennel in the day and shutting him in a little shed at night to keep him from mating with my chickens. About a week ago he started snapping at me when I'm taking him to the kennel. Well, today, he has started charging. He is usually very unfriendly and runs away as soon as i put him down, but today he was right at my heels with his head down. he has done this several times today. How can I stop this behavior?

Does he have a hen duck? Ducks like chickens are not loners and he should not be kept alone as it will make him aggressive. (I think you see that in him already)

Can you get him a couple gals so he is not lonely?

Does he have a hen duck? Ducks like chickens are not loners and he should not be kept alone as it will make him aggressive. (I think you see that in him already)

Can you get him a couple gals so he is not lonely?
X2 definitely needs a girl or three.

Last edited:
I would suggest separating him from the chickens. He will hurt them or even kill them trying to mate them. The anatomy just isn't the same and it will be detrimental to chickens.

Re: him charging you. I would catch him as he charges and gently pin him to the ground. This shows him you are in charge. Try that a few times and you should see a change in him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom