Male Pekin Duck Killed Baby Hen

HilaryAkin

Songster
May 23, 2021
Hi Everyone,

My male pekin duck (4.5 months now) has been acting aggressive towards our new baby chicks (2 months now). In an effort to get all our 4 chickens (1 male, 3 female) and 2 ducks (1 male, 1 female) comfortable with our 4 new hens (hopefully), I have made a penned off area in the large run (I think it's called). It's a spot where the older animals can't get to the babies, but they can get familiar with one another. Our male duck and rooster have been hovering around the penned off area with the babies. The male duck seems to be the meanest, always running around it and trying to get to them. Yesterday we went to my sons baseball game only to come home and find one of our babies dead. She must have gotten out of the penned in area somehow and I am thinking the male duck got to her. He had blood all over him. To say I am devastated and traumatized is an understatement. I couldn't sleep last night and have cried all day. I have become attached to all my animals.

Has anyone had this happen? Are male ducks normally this aggressive? I don't know what to do.

Thanks

Jenwisp

Songster
May 14, 2020
Hudson Valley, NY
I buried the drake.

We had 3 males for 7 female ducks. not enough females. So I culled the most aggressive.. he was also injuring the ducks. I culled an injured jumbo pekin as well.

1 male duck needs 4-5 females.

Jenwisp

Songster
May 14, 2020
Hudson Valley, NY
I hate duck mating season. Our Cayuga mallard mix went from being laid back and turned into a rapist. He was hunting down the females he liked. Our one girl kept getting eye infections and her neck was so bald and raw it was scabbing. We had to put him in timeout at the end so they could have some peace.

Crazy Maizie

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2020
Maybe segregate the male duck for now. Or secure the pen for the littles - they can squeeze out of the smallest spaces.

Top Bottom