Male Pekin meaner than others

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coloradochick, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Is it just me or are male Pekins meaner and rougher than other breeds? I just posted this on another thread. But the last male Pekin I had chased me around the yard and bit the heck out of my calves. Just a flat out jerk. This one doesn't bother us just the duckhens.

I just came in from chasing my infuriating male Pekin, Meemers. He literally runs/chases the females down and isn't very nice when he "catches" them. I went running out there with the fly swatter to get him off and the chase was on. Even my little Sebastopol girl was yelling at him. I wish she would just grab him by the neck and fling him around Anyways, I had him cornered by the pool which the 2 pigs have taken over YUCKO and he runs throught that splashing me with nasty pig water. Needless to say I called him a few choice names and came in and washed up. I think I need to find him a home the little jerk

I think if I would get rid of him my flock of ducks would be fine. I currently have 4 males and 8 females. The other boys, Black Runner, Tan/White Runner mix, and a Khaki are angels compared to Meemers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    This isn't said to hurt your feelings, but your problem with the ducks is you. You will have better luck if you study up on duck behavior and expect them to behave like ducks and treat them like ducks.

My male Pekin has a lovely gentle friendly nature. He wouldn't have if I occasionally chased him around with a fly swatter while he had absolutely no clue as to why.

I have 3 Pekins and they all have lovely dispositions. I had 9 Pekins not too long ago and they all had beautiful temperaments, which is exactly why a trio of Pekin got a Presidential Pardon.

3. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    So tonight while sitting out in the yard with everyone, the Pekin mounted my male K Campbell. Wouldn't get off. I even waited a fair amount of time before starting to walk towards them. Not acceptable. Sorry.

I realize he's behaving like a duck. But for him to chase down, mount the hen, and continue to push her head in the water/mud and without letting up is not nice behavior. I've had ducks in the past so I'm familiar with them. I also know when an animal is being to agressive when I see one. The other males don't act this way and neither did the males I had before. The females welcome the other males for mating. They don't with this one. The females run away from this guy in a panic. That's how I hear what's goin on when I'm inside the house. This is the first time I've chased him with a swatter. It's not something I "occasionally" do. I'm fed up with his acting like this.

4. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    ooooooh, I get ya [​IMG]

...Of course if he is being a little more aggressive than the others you could try separating him for a few days, it might make the world of a difference [​IMG] ...

5. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I have 2 drakes, always treated the same and raised together. One is much meaner than the other. So I think genetics and inborn personality play a big role. I saw differing, sometimes opposite behaviors in each of them at a day old that have carried to adulthood. Extra agression in one was one of the differences.

We still love him but just have learned what his boundaries are. They are different animals with different personalities. They aren't all going to be sweet and gentle at first but then you learn to work with it.

6. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Ok guys, I didn't beat him with it. And YES he's being far too aggressive to the girls to the point of hurting them. I've never had a male do this so yes I'm familiar with how a male duck mates with a female. But thanks for the replies [​IMG]

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Short answer - if he does not bring you joy, then he is not for you. Out he goes.

Perhaps you would like him better dressed and on your dining room table. [​IMG]

8. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Mine do that to each other all the time... Like 4 times a day. It's only the two of them. They usually get along peacefully. I thought all ducks where like to that.

9. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Quote:Sounds like the dating world. [​IMG]

10. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    ^ XD

About the whole dinner table thing, I was sort thinking along those lines. If he is more trouble than he's worth and just endangering your hens then maybe "freezer camp" would be a good option. Pekins are by definition a meat breed...of course what you do is entirely your choice [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by