Male Pekins Fighting How to add

suzanne2545

In the Brooder
May 5, 2016
We have two one year old Pekins and they are atrocious. They fight constantly with each other but they also attack us. Especially me. They free range during the day and are cooped at night. I don't mind buying some sexed ducklings to add to to the mix. My questions:

Would three ducklings be too low a ratio of males to females? I really don't want 8 pekins.

If I get ducklings in the next few weeks how quickly can I introduce them to the naughty drakes?

Can I get rid of one, give the other a stuffie and my 11 year old to play with (he's obsessed with them and in tears daily at their current behavior) until the ducklings are ready to be introduced.

Or, do we just get rid of them both and start over with sexed ducklings? I caved last year buying chicks and bought two unsexed pekins and here we are.

I'm interested in the answers you'll get. I have the same problem, mine were from the pound though. They're a year old and started fighting recently. I keep them seperated but visible to each other now. Fortunately they are not aggressive to us at all. I'm also wondering if adding to the flock, even males might help.

I'm interested in the answers you'll get. I have the same problem, mine were from the pound though. They're a year old and started fighting recently. I keep them seperated but visible to each other now. Fortunately they are not aggressive to us at all. I'm also wondering if adding to the flock, even males might help.
No more males..Sometimes an all Drake flock works although in most cases they will all fight. The best is all Hens or One Drake to 3 to 4 Hens..

x2 Drop one and get 4 females if you don't want anymore than 8 ducks

That’s what we are leaning towards but what to do in the interim? Will the remaining drake be fine with a mirro and a stuffed animal and my son to play with all summer. School’s out so my son can spend a lot of time with him. Or do we have to suffer through with both until the babes are old enough to introduce?

We are seeing ads on craigslist this time of year giving ducks away.

Lots of people get them at Easter then want out.

Can you look for adult or at least started females?

Back
Top Bottom