1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Male pet Pigeon for adoption in NYC

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by susan9207, May 29, 2007.

1. susan9207

susan9207 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2007
    Hi! I rescued Mackie as a nearly featherless baby four years ago. We never intended to keep him, but since he was so used to our dogs, we felt it might not be the safest thing to release him. He lives in our living room in a cage we built, and he used to have free time flying around the house, taking baths in the dogs' water dishes, and eating their food. We got involved with a dog rescue a year and a half ago, and our "pack" has grown from two to six, with a seventh we're fostering. The new dogs do not share the calm temperament of our original dogs and, as a result, Mackie's time out of the cage is very limited. Mackie is black, with a white saddle on his back and anklets. In all honesty, he is not a friendly bird and will peck you when you put your hand in his cage. Is there anyone out there in the NYC area who would like a pigeon friend for the next 20 years? OR, do you know anyone in the NYC area who rehabilitates birds so that they can be released into the wild? Thanks!

2. susan9207

Apr 1, 2007
    I just thought you might like to know that Mackie is scheduled to go to a wildlife rehabilitator this week. He'll be paired up with another bird and once he knows how to survive in the wild, and the other bird is ready to be released, they will be released together. Pigeons were just never meant to spend their lives without the company of other pigeons. Wish him luck.

3. susan9207

Apr 1, 2007
    Hi! After going to the wildlife rehabilitator, it was determined that Mackie can never be set free. As soon as he was released from his traveling cage in the exam room, he flew onto my head. He's too imprinted on humans. I was told that since this is the only life he's known, that he's happy, so I guess I'll have him in my living room for the next 25 years.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At least he his happy! If that is what he knows, it is best for him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by