Male Pharaoh Quail Getting Picked On.

jolleyfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Tupelo MS
So, I have 8 quail. At first I thought I had 2 males, and 6 females. Now that mating has started, I find I have 3 males. The problem is, my secret male is getting pecked at in the eye.

I have taken him out of the cage to heal, and put him in the others yesterday, but this morning I find his eye has been hurt again.

My husband thinks its cause he wont leave the other birds alone and likes to mate... a lot. Ha! He thinks if he can't keep it with the flock, he wants to eat it. Which is the reason we have them. To raise more & eat. But, I think maybe there is something wrong going on, and I'd like to fix the problem.. since he does his job very well! Lol!

You should not keep males together in the same cage. You need to separate them 1 male to to 4 to 7 hens or how ever many females you have to divide up. If you keep too little females in with one male, the male WILL mate the females to death. So you may need to add more girls.

The males will never get along, so separate them out and if you have to, keep them alone until you can get them hens.

Oh and welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

Last edited:
You should not keep males together in the same cage.  You need to separate them 1 male to to 4 to 7 hens or how ever many females you have to divide up. If you keep too little females in with one male, the male WILL mate the females to death. So you may need to add more girls.

We got them from a man that had them all together.. But he had hundreds.. I will look into separating them. Thank you! & thanks. We are such beginners, but are loving it so far!

People do all sorts of crazy things with their birds. Doesn't make it right. :)

Good luck with your quail!

People do all sorts of crazy things with their birds. Doesn't make it right. :)

Good luck with your quail!

Very true. I went to go get some more females today. And I separated all my males with enough females. Thank you for the info! I know who to ask about my quail problems now!

Back
Top Bottom